A very interesting study: learning the age of social media users today (updated Feb. 2010). Pingdom put together site demographics information for the United States gathered from Google Ad Planner and then did some additional calculation to get the following data.
- The highest age group using social network sites is 34-55 years old (25%).
- Lowest age group using social network sites is 65 and above (3%).
- The 18-24 demographic only takes up 9% of the overall age distribution.
Age Distribution per Site
- About 20% of Facebook users are below 17 years old.
- 35% of Twitter users are 35 and above.
- Among the 19 sites compared, Bebo has the largest “younger population” users (44%).
Dominant Age Group
- 0 – 17: Tops 4 out of 19 sites (21%)
- 18 – 24: Tops no site
- 25 – 34: Tops 1 out of 19 sites (5%)
- 35 – 44: Tops 11 out of 19 sites (58%)
- 45 – 54: Tops 3 out of 19 sites (16%)
- 55 – 64: Tops no site
- 65 or older: Tops no site
Average User Age
- The average age for social network sites user (in general) is 37 years old.
- Like mentioned, Bebo has much younger users, with average age of 28.4 years old.
- The average age for Facebook users is 38 years old.
So, why this matters? Since 2000, the E-revolution era concluded and the Consumer Empowerment & Brand Entertainment era rules. Consumers are put in the spotlight while greater consumer control emerges. Social network sites fall under one category of the modern Digital Marketing study. Thus, it is important to understand the demographics of the social media “market” and target respectively. For example, if you are selling something to younger users, you may now want to look at Bebo as a higher potential social site than LinkedIn.
This study is last updated on February 16th, 2010.
Note: All data (including graphics and figures) are property of pingdom. The data used in this site is solely for information sharing. Please contact the publishers before using or publishing these data or figures for private purposes.
Reference: Pingdom (2010). “Study: Age of Social Network Users” in Pingdom Blog. Retrieved Sept. 20, 2010 from http://royal.pingdom.com/2010/02/16/study-ages-of-social-network-users/